Thursday, September 10, 2009

City Harvest Festival - Downtown Boise

This was an interesting day . . . this is the first time I have ever gone to one of Kurt's jobs from start to finish and all I can say is, Wow! I was pretty nervous about it because it was out of my comfort zone but I desperately wanted to spend some time together as a family and also get an idea of what Kurt's work day was like, and that I did!

This was the first time I have been in downtown Boise in about 3 years! I am not the best traveller in the world and even worse if it has to do with a lot of traffic and the possibility of interstate driving but thankfully, we could get downtown without the interstate for the most part and the drive went "swimmingly" well ( except for about 30 seconds when Kurt tried to get on the interstate but that's another blog in itself)!

We arrived at the Center on the Grove and it was already bustling with people starting to set up chairs and tables, a silent auction area, an alcoholic beverage area and Rob, Tanya and their kids Zach and Gloria were starting on setting up the equipment. I knew it was going to be a long day but I was up for it! I think I was worried more about Tyler because he hadn't been to an event like this either and I wasn't sure how he was going to handle it.

Since I don't know ANYTHING about setting up sound equipment and lighting, Tyler and I took a lot of walks to check things out in the surrounding area. I enjoyed it and so did Tyler.

Here is a sign of the events for the day.

Just a few shots around the stage where the setting up was happening and other things!
Kurt, Tanya and Hailey.
Tyler thought it was a blast to jump across the stage from one section of bolts to another. I actually tried to get him to go for a walk at this point but he declined, this was too fun!

The kids are great at helping. They really enjoy helping their dad. They actually know what they are doing. I felt a little useless but it was fun to watch.

This setting up process took hours. I am amazed at all the equipment needed for such a small stage. There was going to be a total of three different bands sharing the stage and there just didn't seem to be room for that!

The guys from Onomatopoeia showed up first and got all of their equipment on the stage. They were the main act and so everyone else had to fit their stuff in and around theirs!



At this point Tyler and I took another walk. It was really unique down here. We were in this little courtyard surrounded by skyscrapers. Tyler found this very interesting.

When we walked up to this Wells Fargo building Tyler asked if this was a real Skyscraper and he said he had never seen one in real life before . . . I don't know about that . . .

So, I told him to walk up to it and touch it and we will get a picture of him touching his first skyscraper!



We walked a little farther past the building and took a gander up the street - the city is an interesting place! This was looking to the right . . .

Looking to the left!

There was a neat grass area here and I wished I would have brought a football or a baseball and some mitts - would have been a great catching area. Tyler was content to just do a lot of running on the concrete edging!

Another cool thing down there was they had these beautiful and huge plant containers! If I could have I would have backed the truck up and hauled them all away - some were down-right gorgeous!

This sculpture was interesting.

I wanted these containers BAD! I wanted to take a picture of them to drool over, made Tyler be my point of interest! He was so cooperative!

Back by the stage - Hi Zach and Hayden!

Tyler and I went for another walk in a different direction. Found this amazing sculpture of a man panning for gold. Almost the whole sculpture was made out of barbwire fencing! I know! I didn't realize it at first but when we started to take a closer look it was really neat. Tyler is attempting to steal his gold nugget!
This place had a lot of stairs and different levels - Ty liked it here!


Hmmmmm - wonder who's hand that is?

Tyler took the camera and took a few shots of things he liked.



Here is the first group, the Lounge Lizards - they were from a place called "The School of Rock" which I think is an actually school for kids to learn how to play rock -n- roll music. They were cute. The little guy on the drums was pretty good!

The second act was the Boise Opera. I didn't think I would enjoy it but I did. Their voices were great and they sung favorites like, Figaro and Carmen. Beautiful voices.


The third group I enjoyed immensely. They were the Giant Leprechauns and they played Irish fiddle music and I could have listened to them all day. A few of the men told dry jokes and were funny. Made you want to get up and do a jig. But, unlike Kurt at past events, I controlled myself and didn't dance in front of others.

Then, the last group of the night! I don't know exactly what kind of music they play, it is somewhat jazzy, funky, type music but these guys are spectacular! I don't think I quit smiling the whole time. They have so much energy and you can tell that they enjoy what they are doing. Committed Events has worked with these guys before and they have got to be some of the nicest musicians I have ever met.


The kids did have time to hang out and chat, walk around, play with things Zach had brought, meet new people and eventually eat. Did I mention besides it being very hot, sticky and humid that we nearly starved to death? It seemed ironic since it was a Harvest Festival and they were BBQ-ing chicken and corn and such but thankfully Tanya ordered a pizza!

I have gained a lot of respect for what Kurt, Rob and Tanya do for a living. I honestly don't think I have the stamina to do this on a continual basis but it was very interesting and I will definitely go again when I have the opportunity. All in all we all had a good time. I didn't get any pictures of things being torn down but if you go to the top left hand corner and click on "Tanya" you can find on her blog a whole bunch of different pictures and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment