Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Snowtastic!

I don't know when my fascination for snow started but I have always loved it!
The weird thing is I don't really like to do things in it I just like to look at it! I don't really ski, don't snowmobile, cross-country,snow shoe, ice skate or even really go sledding. I don't like to get wet or be hit with snowballs but I could just sit and stare at it all day.

Whenever I see snow my mind conjures up scenes of sitting by an all glass bay window while the fireplace is crackling in the background. I am sitting on a cozy chair and covered with an antique quilt holding a cup of steaming hot chocolate while a book rests on my lap waiting to be read!
And when has that actually happened to me . . . um . . . never!
Chances are if I take a look the person in the scene is either not me or is me when I am 80 and my hair is all gray and just off to the side out of the picture is a sleek, steel walker!
Anyway - we had a beautiful snow last night even against Kurt's discouraging comments of how it really was only going to rain and I couldn't help snap a few pictures to share.


I love the contrast of the red twigs of this Dogwood against the freshly fallen snow!


On my Virginia Creeper by the front walk!

Oh to have one of those beautiful spendy professional cameras to get a much closer shot of these beautiful little red, tear-shaped berries on my Rose Glow Barberry. It is really rather stunning close up. . . again, the red and snowy contrast!

The trampoline!


When there was a little bird sitting to the right of the feeder the snow on the left was taller than the little guy. So cute -


My wonderful Honeysuckle that never gives in to the weather. You can always find little birds hiding inside! I am glad I can provide them with some shelter and food!


The butterfly bush that I didn't trim down yet.


Look at how amazing these little puffs of snow are! They are just sitting daintily on the top of these little flower seed heads left over from their profuse flowering this summer. These are a beautiful daisy like flower with a wine red and yellow coloring.


The stark beauty of a leafless tree - amazing how snow can take something so drab and dismal and make it beautiful!


Front yard before wandering pets and kids destroy the peaceful blanket of snow!

Don't ask me why but I found this little snowbound plant to seem so serene!



This tree has so much character - the bark is just gorgeous and it seems so statuesque alongside the porch! I can't wait until a little bird decides to build a nest in it!

Well, if it would be possible it would be wonderful to live up in the mountains during the time of snow! To be surrounded by wildlife, beautiful evergreens and mountain plants all covered in an unbroken blanket of snow, well, until you would need to run to the store for something and it would take you three hours to go a mile!!!
Hope you enjoyed my winter wonderland trip through my yard. It is supposed to rain in two days and all will be changed. At least I can refer back to this and relive the serenity!

No comments:

Post a Comment