Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Quilting 101 !

A few years back I read a book my sister Debra had lent me (that my Grandmother had sent her). It was called "The Quilter's Apprentice". I LOVED it! I enjoyed it so much that I read all five of the rest of the books in the series (Elm Creek Quilters Series). After that I had the strongest desire to learn to quilt. I figured I had done cross-stitch, needlepoint, embroidery, sewing, crocheting, some knitting, painting, latch-hook . . . . why not quilt too!
ANYWAY - Grammy was kind enough last March to send me a project she had - it is called "The Quilt Block of the Month". Each month you get a different style of quilt block design with pre-cut material and instructions. She had completed a few of the twelve and started on a few others but the rest were still untouched. This is a project me and Hailey have talked about but hadn't gotten to. Today was our lucky day!


I reassured her that the only REAL way to quilt is by hand! That's the way it's been done for centuries (plus my sewing machine is acting up)! I thought it would be fun to chat like they do in movies but you could have heard a pin drop (no pun intended) - way too much concentration going on!


I think one of the most important tools with quilting is the ol' seam ripper! It became handy to both Hailey and I much to our grumbling. All I can say is it is easier than it looks and no matter how many times you arrange the pieces you are bound to match up the wrong sides!!!!


I am happy to say that after a few hours we almost completed a 12 x 12 quilt block apiece (mind you, these are ones that Grammy had already done a little work on)! Hailey's is on the left and she just needs to sew the four sections together and mine is on the right and I just have to hook the two sides together. I really enjoyed it! Can't wait until we get the whole thing done. Three generations will have worked on this quilt. Almost brings a tear to my eye!



Before I end this post I want to put out a special "I LOVE YOU" to my Grandmother, Grammy! I believe without her influence I may not have ventured into the craft world. Even though I only saw her about every 3-5 years when I was a child she took the time to teach me how to crochet and I believe cross-stitch when she visited. And I have enjoyed crafting since then and love it so much that I am teaching it to my kids (boys and girls alike). XOXOXOXO Thanks Grammy!






No comments:

Post a Comment