Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Trumpet Vine !

This is what my beautiful back fence looks like in the summer covered with the trumpet-shaped blooms that attract many very cute but quick hummingbirds just as all the garden books predicted . . .



The garden books failed to mention the amount of hornets, wasps or whatever they are that are also attracted to these beautiful blooms or the fact that those vines will look like this come late fall!

Not quite as amazing as before . . . but to keep them under control I have to trim back ALL of the branches to the fence so they will have a fresh (and more controlled) start to their growing season come next spring! I need to trim them back to look like this . . .


I started with this . . .




Over two hours later I had this . . . !

Did I mention I already had to trim the inside of the fence? WHEW! I have to say at times like this I question whether these vines are worth it. Amazing, in the books they don't seem to mention the extent you need to go to take care of these vines.
Good lesson to all - study out what you plant! But, they still are beautiful in the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment